Mumbai Style Pav Bhaji
Pav Bhaji is a popular Indian street food tracing its origin to Mumbai. This specialty dish is popular in every kitchen and by-lane of Mumbai‘Pav’ means a type of soft bread and ‘Bhaji’ means a mix of vegetables and curry.
Pav bhaji is made from a mix of many vegetables which usually include Cauliflower, Tomatoes, Carrots, Peas, Beans, Capsicum etc.
These days Pav Bhaji is available in almost all Indian restaurants and many street side joints.
The cooking process is relatively quick and easy With a mix of several vegetables.
Pav Bhaji is quiet healthy. Though it tastes best with a liberal dose of butter. you can cook it at home with less oil and butter to make it healthier.
To make Pav Bhaji at home follow the detailed step by step recipe on my you tube channel with a link below.
Preparation time : 15-20 mins
Cooking time : 30-35 mins
Serves : 4
For boiling veggies
250 gm Green Peas
200 gm cauliflower
2 medium size potato diced
100 gm french beans
1 chopped Green capsicum
2 small carrots chopped
1 small tomato chopped
1 tbsp pav bhaji masala
2 tsp salt
1-3/4 cup Water (used leftover boiled water from the veggies)
1 medium onion chopped
3 small Tomato, chopped
1 tablespoon Ginger paste
1 crushed green chilli(optional)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
2 tsp garam masala powder
2 tablespoon Pav bhaji Masala
1/2 teaspoon Red chili powder
2 tablespoon Butter or Oil
Salt to taste
2 tablespoon Chopped cilantro leaves
2 tablespoon Lemon Juice – to sprinkle on top (optional)
Directions || To prepare Pav bhaji Veggies
1. Boil all the veggies together in a pressure cooker ,this saves lot of time.
2. add salt , pav bhai masala ,chopped tomato and water.
3. Close the lid and cook it till 3-4 whistles.
4. Do not discard the water from boiled veggies.
Directions || Tempering Pav bhaji
1. Prepare ingredients for tadka.
2. Heat butter and oil (pav bhaji means lot of butter)
3. Add chopped onions…
4. Add ginger paste and saute for a minute.
5. Saute until onions are translucent..
6. Add chopped tomatoes.
7. Cover and cook until tomatoes are tender and soft.
9. Uncover and start mashing up the tomatoes.
10. Add salt, turmeric powder , garam masala powder , red chilli powder and Pav bhaji masala.
11. Saute and mix until well blended.
12. Finally mix in mashed boiled veggies that we prepared earlier..
13. Keep mashing throughout the process..
14. Mix in salt and some butter. As you can see I have added 1 teaspoon of extra
butter to saute my tempering.
15. If you like add more butter, some lemon juice.
16. Sprinkle chopped cilantro leaves and some finely chopped onions..
Masala Khichdi | Khandeshi Masala Bhaath
Khandeshi Masala Khichadi is a one -pot comfort meal traditionally a maharashtrian dish.
Masala Khichdi is a spicy variation of simple khichdi with heavenly flavors.This khicidi is simple to cook and very easily done in pressure cooker. It can be served with papad but it tastes divine when served traditionally with Marathi pickles like ‘Teecha’. So do try this recipe and please share me your feedback.
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time :15 mins
Serves : 4
2 tbsp Oil
1 cup Rice
1/4 cup Tur dal
1 tsp Mustard seeds
few curry leaves
1 cup Peanuts
1 medium Onion finely chopped
2~3 Green chillies chopped
1 Tomato finely chopped
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp khandeshi masala/curry powder
1 tsp Red chili powder
3 cups Water
Salt to taste
Directions || How to make Khandeshi Masala khicidi
Mix rice and toor dal ,wash them well with water and soak them for 15-30 minutes,
Heat up oil in a pressure cooker.
Add mustard seeds and let them pop up.
Add curry leaves and peanuts. Stir well and fry for about a minute.
Once peanuts are fried well ,add onion, green chillies and fry until onion turns light golden.
Add tomato, khandeshi masala(curry powder), red chili powder and turmeric powder.
Mix well and fry for about 2 minutes.
Now add soaked rice and dal.
Mix well and add water and sprinkle few coriander leaves, salt to taste. Mix well.
Close the lid and cook on medium heat until 3 whistles.
Masala khichadi is already.
Serve with lots of ghee and coriander leaves.
You can serve masala khichaadi with papad or pickle too.
Thin Poha Chivda(Patal Poha Chiwada)
Patal Poha (Thin Poha) Chivda is another diwali snack. This is my all time crispy favourite snack and it can be a good tea time snack too. This is a very simple and easy recipe and a quick snack made from thin poha, dry fruits, peanuts, spices in maharashtrian style.
preparation time 5 minutes
cooking time 20 minutes
servings 4 to 5
2 cups white poha ( flattened rice)
⅓ cup peanuts
⅓ cup chana dal bengal gram)
⅓ cup cashew nuts (kaju)
¼ cup chopped dry coconut slices – optional
⅓ cup of oil for frying
For tempering poha chivda:
3 green chilies – sliced or chopped
4 to 15 curry leaves (kadi patta)
¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tablespoon sugar or powdered sugar
1 to 1.5 teaspoons salt or add as required
½ tablespoon oil
Directions || How to prepare Poha chivda
Keep ready all the ingredients as per the measurement in a bowl.
Take a thick bottomed pan or kadai with a handle.
Add for oil and fry the peanuts till it turns crispy and crunchy , remove it from pan or kadhai and allow it to cool in a bowl or a plate.
similarly fry 1/3 cup of chana dal till they become crisp. remove the chana dal and cashews from the pan and place it in a bowl.
For tempering :
In the same kadai or pan,heat 1/3 cup of oil for deep frying.
Then add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter , next add cumin seeds.
Add curry leaves, green chilies and a generous pinch of salt.
Then sprinkle ¼ turmeric powder and 1 to 1.5 teaspoons salt or add salt as per taste.
Now add ¼ cup dry coconut slices till they become crisp and light golden or golden.
Keep the flame to a low. then add 2 cups of thin poha or rice flakes in it.
Roast the poha. gently shake the pan so that the poha gets evenly roasted.
since they are papery, light and delicate saute it very gently ad lightly.
Within 3 to 4 minutes the poha flakes will change their texture and become crisp. don’t roast the poha on a high flame.
Next add the fried ingredients – peanuts, cashews and chana dal to the roasted poha and shake the pan so that everything gets mixed.
on a low flame, add sugar and keep mixing the chivda gently and lightly.
Turn off the gas and let the chivda mixture settle in the hot pan for 1 or 2 mins ,this will make the chivda more crunchy and crispy.
After 2 mins remove the poha chivda in another plate and let it cool at room temperature. once cooled, then store in an air-tight box and container.
Serve the poha chivda as a tea time snack.
Crispy rice chakali/chakli
Marathi style “Chakli”/”chakali” or even called as “murukku” in south india is the traditional snacks mostly prepared during festivals like Diwali. This chalki is a deep fried snack made from rice flour, gram flour or mixture of lentils flours. This one of the most famous Diwali faraal and today i am sharing my favorite family recipe of instant chakli.
Wishing you all again a happy fun filled and a safe diwali.
PREPARATION TIME 15 minutes
COOK TIME 30 minutes
SERVINGS 22 to 25 chaklis
INGREDIENTS (1 cup = 250 ml)
2 cup rice flour (chawal ka atta)
1 cup besan (roasted gram flour)
1 tbsp hot cooking oil
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
½ teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds)
2 teaspoon red chili powder or add as required (lal mirch powder)
¼ cup tablespoon sesame seeds – white or black (safed til or kala til)
¼ cup lukewarm water – add as required
oil for deep frying
salt as required
Directions || How to make Instant cripsy rice chakali.
- In a bowl add rice flour and gram flour .
- Next add the carom seeds, sesame seeds, turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt.
- Mix everything with a spoon.
- Heat butter or oil in a bowl or small pan.
- Add the hot butter or oil to flour mixture.
- heat water till it starts boiling.
- Allow it cool till it turns lukewarm then add the water in parts to the flour mixture. mix with a spoon.
- Add more hot water as required and begin kneading to a firm dough
- Cover and let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
Directions making instant chakli:
- apply some oil in the chakli/murukku maker and place a portion of the dough inside it.
- tighten the lid and press the chakli maker to prepare the chakli. move in rounds to get a spiral shape.
- Break the dough towards the end and press it to the last concentric circle of the spiral.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a pan,lift the chakli gently and slid into the hot oil.
- Fry 3 to 4 chaklis at a time. don’t over crowd the kadai or pan while frying.
- Fry the chaklis till it turns golden in color.Drain them well to remove excess oil.
- Fry the remaining batches in the same way. once the chaklis are cooled at room temperature, then store them in an airtight box or jar.
- serve the chakalis as a snack with chai or you can just have them plain.
Mix dal Pakora/Bhajji
Pakora (Fritter)or Bhajji’s is a famous recipe for Iftar and Ramadan. Pakoras are made in 90% homes at the time of iftar.Pakoray is a very tasty, light weight, and light saltish snack which taste good with tomato ketchup, raita or chutney.
I try to make different pakoras every time , sometimes aloo (potato)pakora, sometimes pyaz(onions) pakora and sometimes palak pakora.This is the first time, i tried this mix dal pakoras. I’m sharing with all this delicious and yummy mix dal pakora.
This is one of the most favorite pakora or you can say bhajji and there are so many sweet childhood memories attached to it. My mom use to prepare these Bhajji’s every tuesday to break her fast 🙂 and I used to wait for tuesday desperately :)Mix dal pakora can also be served at tea time and snacks or even as starters.
Preparation time:15 mins + 4 hours soaking of dals
Cooking time:10 mins
Serves : 4 to 5 people
For The Dal Mixture
2 cup chana dal (split bengal gram)
1/2 cup yellow moong dal (split yellow gram)
1/2 cup urad dal (split black lentils)
1 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
a pinch turmeric powder (haldi)
2-3 green chillies
1/2 tsp asafoetida (hing)
2 to 3 cloves garlic
1 medium size onion finely chopped
1 cup chopped coriander (dhania)
salt to taste
oil for deep frying
Direction || How to make mix dal pakora
Wash and soak all dals for 4 hours.
Strain water and keep it aside.
In a grinder add cumin seeds,garlic,green chillies,turmeric powder,asafoetida and dal.
Coarsely grind them together.
In a bowl, mix coarsley ground dals,chopped onions ,chopped coriander,salt and mix well.
Heat oil on medium flame and deep fry all pakodas till they turn golden brown and crisp from al the sides.
Serve hot with coconut chutney or any chutney of your choice.