Pav Bhaji is a popular Indian street food tracing its origin to Mumbai. This specialty dish is popular in every kitchen and by-lane of Mumbai‘Pav’ means a type of soft bread and ‘Bhaji’ means a mix of vegetables and curry.
Pav bhaji is made from a mix of many vegetables which usually include Cauliflower, Tomatoes, Carrots, Peas, Beans, Capsicum etc.
These days Pav Bhaji is available in almost all Indian restaurants and many street side joints.
The cooking process is relatively quick and easy With a mix of several vegetables.
Pav Bhaji is quiet healthy. Though it tastes best with a liberal dose of butter. you can cook it at home with less oil and butter to make it healthier.
To make Pav Bhaji at home follow the detailed step by step recipe on my you tube channel with a link below.
Preparation time : 15-20 mins
Cooking time : 30-35 mins
Serves : 4
For boiling veggies
250 gm Green Peas
200 gm cauliflower
2 medium size potato diced
100 gm french beans
1 chopped Green capsicum
2 small carrots chopped
1 small tomato chopped
1 tbsp pav bhaji masala
2 tsp salt
1-3/4 cup Water (used leftover boiled water from the veggies)
1 medium onion chopped
3 small Tomato, chopped
1 tablespoon Ginger paste
1 crushed green chilli(optional)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
2 tsp garam masala powder
2 tablespoon Pav bhaji Masala
1/2 teaspoon Red chili powder
2 tablespoon Butter or Oil
Salt to taste
2 tablespoon Chopped cilantro leaves
2 tablespoon Lemon Juice – to sprinkle on top (optional)
Directions || To prepare Pav bhaji Veggies
1. Boil all the veggies together in a pressure cooker ,this saves lot of time.
2. add salt , pav bhai masala ,chopped tomato and water.
3. Close the lid and cook it till 3-4 whistles.
4. Do not discard the water from boiled veggies.
Directions || Tempering Pav bhaji
1. Prepare ingredients for tadka.
2. Heat butter and oil (pav bhaji means lot of butter)
3. Add chopped onions…
4. Add ginger paste and saute for a minute.
5. Saute until onions are translucent..
6. Add chopped tomatoes.
7. Cover and cook until tomatoes are tender and soft.
9. Uncover and start mashing up the tomatoes.
10. Add salt, turmeric powder , garam masala powder , red chilli powder and Pav bhaji masala.
11. Saute and mix until well blended.
12. Finally mix in mashed boiled veggies that we prepared earlier..
13. Keep mashing throughout the process..
14. Mix in salt and some butter. As you can see I have added 1 teaspoon of extra
butter to saute my tempering.
15. If you like add more butter, some lemon juice.
16. Sprinkle chopped cilantro leaves and some finely chopped onions..