Marathi style “Chakli”/”chakali” or even called as “murukku” in south india is the traditional snacks mostly prepared during festivals like Diwali. This chalki is a deep fried snack made from rice flour, gram flour or mixture of lentils flours. This one of the most famous Diwali faraal and today i am sharing my favorite family recipe of instant chakli.
Wishing you all again a happy fun filled and a safe diwali.
PREPARATION TIME 15 minutes
COOK TIME 30 minutes
SERVINGS 22 to 25 chaklis
INGREDIENTS (1 cup = 250 ml)
2 cup rice flour (chawal ka atta)
1 cup besan (roasted gram flour)
1 tbsp hot cooking oil
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
½ teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds)
2 teaspoon red chili powder or add as required (lal mirch powder)
¼ cup tablespoon sesame seeds – white or black (safed til or kala til)
¼ cup lukewarm water – add as required
oil for deep frying
salt as required
Directions || How to make Instant cripsy rice chakali.
- In a bowl add rice flour and gram flour .
- Next add the carom seeds, sesame seeds, turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt.
- Mix everything with a spoon.
- Heat butter or oil in a bowl or small pan.
- Add the hot butter or oil to flour mixture.
- heat water till it starts boiling.
- Allow it cool till it turns lukewarm then add the water in parts to the flour mixture. mix with a spoon.
- Add more hot water as required and begin kneading to a firm dough
- Cover and let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
Directions making instant chakli:
- apply some oil in the chakli/murukku maker and place a portion of the dough inside it.
- tighten the lid and press the chakli maker to prepare the chakli. move in rounds to get a spiral shape.
- Break the dough towards the end and press it to the last concentric circle of the spiral.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a pan,lift the chakli gently and slid into the hot oil.
- Fry 3 to 4 chaklis at a time. don’t over crowd the kadai or pan while frying.
- Fry the chaklis till it turns golden in color.Drain them well to remove excess oil.
- Fry the remaining batches in the same way. once the chaklis are cooled at room temperature, then store them in an airtight box or jar.
- serve the chakalis as a snack with chai or you can just have them plain.