indian quick rice recipes
Tomato Pulao also know as tamatar pulao/tamatar bhath or biryani or South Indian spicy tomato rice.
It is an easy one pot meal or a lunch box or also a saver recipe on those busy weekdays cooking.
I saw this recipe on one tv channel and found it interesting for my family.
I just gave it a try and it happened to turned out good.Both my kids enjoyed as it didn’t had much of hot spices.
You can either serve it with raita or even plain curd or just have it with any chips of your choice.
So lets move on to the recipe..
Prep Time : 10 mins
Cook Time : 30 mins
For the seasoning
1 tbsp ghee
3 Bay leaf small
1 tsp jeera
1 cup Basmati Rice
2 medium size Onion
1/4 cup green peas
1 tsp Ginger-garlic paste
4 Ripe juicy tomatoes puree
1 slit green chilli
1/2 tsp Chilli Powder
1 tbsp Garam masala powder
2 tsp Salt(or as required)
Oil for cooking
2 tbsp finely chopped Coriander leaves
Direction || How to prepare tomato-peas pulao
Soak basmati rice for 20 minutes, drain the water completely and keep it aside.
Chop tomatoes and prepared its puree in a blender.
Heat ghee in a pan, add bay leaf, black peppers and cloves. Fry for a few seconds and then add thinly sliced onions.
Saute till onions become slightly golden brown, add ginger garlic paste,salt and saute for a few more minutes.
Then add tomatoes puree and allow it to cook for 5 minutes , Then add green peas,chilli powder, garam masala powder and green chillies, Cook till tomatoes become mushy.
Add the drained rice, 2 cups of hot water,(check for salt now by tasting the water)
Close the lid and allow it cook on a high flame for 10-15 mins, open it and check the rice.
If the rice is almost half done,garnish with the remaining coriander leaves.
Look it on a low flame till the rice is well cooked or appox for 5 mins.
Serve it hot with any raita/papad/salad
Vegetable Pulao(In Urdu is pronounced pulao) or Pilaf(English term pilaf is borrowed directly from Turkish) is a rice dish mixed with vegetables cooked with spices adds and aromatic flavor to this recipe.
Vegetables like carrots, capsicum and French beans that are added in Pulao are very healthy and nutritious to eat.
It is so yummy and colourful that no one won’t resist a plate of this mouthwatering food and its also one of the kids favorite rice.
Preparation Time : 15 mins
Cooking Time : 30 to 35 mins
Serves : 4
300 gm basmathi rice or any fragrant rice
1 tbsp oil or ghee
1 bay leaf
6 black peppers
1 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 large onion thinly sliced
1 finely chopped tomatoes
2 green chilies chopped
1.5 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/2 cup sliced potato
1/2 cup finely sliced carrot
1/2 cup finely sliced capsicum
1/2 cup finely sliced green beans
1/2 cup green peas
1 cup dahi
salt as needed
2 ½ to 3 cups water (or as required)
Directions || How to make vegetable Pulao
1. Wash and soak rice for at least 15 minutes. Drain off the water and set aside.
2. Chop all the veggies and slice onions.
3. Add 1 tbsp of ghee and Saute bay leaf , cloves and black peppers in hot oil until they sizzle.
4. Saute onions until golden brown.
5. Next add tomatoes and saute till tomatoes gets mixed well together.
6. Add all the veggies and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Next add ginger garlic paste and saute it until the raw smell goes off.
9. Add cumin powder,garam masala powder , cumin powder and turmeric powder and saute it well
10. Add 1 cup of Dahi , mix all the vegetables well in Dahi.Cover with a lid and Cook on a
low flame for 4 to 5 minutes.
11. Add drained rice and stir.
12 Add water,bring the water to a rolling boil.
13. cover with a lid Cook on low flame for 10 to 15 minutes or till the rice is well cooked..
14. Serve veg pulao hot or cold with a simple or boondi raita or gravy.