Eid special biryani
Chicken Dum Biryani
Chicken Dum Biryani is the most divine dish of all the non-veg dishes. Biryani is the most popular festive dish on the occasion of Eid-Ul-fitr.
Celebrations are incomplete without this authentic dish in any Muslim family.Though its derived from the Persian word ‘biriyan’, this delicious layered rice dish is slow cooked with spices, a choice of meats and flavoring agents is
not only popular across India but world wide.Loved by all food lovers across the world,
it is one of the royal dishes of India that reminds of the culinary heritage of the regal era of emperors Akbar and Shah Jahan and went on to occupy pride of place in the kitchens of the nawabs and nizams of India.
One of the most authentic and aromatic aromatic dish, biryani is sprinkled with rose water or saffron.If you cook this biryani with such precision that you are bound to make this dish again and again.
Prep Time: 30 mins
Marination Time : 3-4 hours(overnite)
Cook Time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
Yields : 1 kg biryani rice
Serves : 8-10
1 kilograms chicken
2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
5-6 pepper balls
3 tsp biryani masala
1 cup curd
1 tsp salt
For chicken masala
1 cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
1 star anise
2 medium size onions finely chopped
1 tomato finely chopped
1 tablespoon garlic paste
1/2 cup fresh cream
1 kg basmati rice
2 green cardamom
1/2 cup ghee
1 bay leaf
1 cup thinly sliced onion
2 pinches saffron
1 teaspoon chopped mint leaves
1 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves
How to make Chicken Biryani
Direction || How to marinade chicken
Add all the marination ingredients in it. Rub well with your fingers so that the marination spreads evenly.
Ideally you should leave marinated chicken in the refrigerator overnight.
If you have sudden guests coming then, use a fork to bore holes in the chicken, marinate and keep aside for 1-2 hours.
Direction || How to cook rice for biryani
Meanwhile wash the rice thoroughly and soak it for 1 hour
boil the rice till its 3/4 th(75%) cooked and keep aside, spread on a plate. If you overcook your rice, it will turn pasty when mixed with the chicken.
Directions || How to fry potatoes.
Heat 2 tbsp of ghee in a pot.
Add potatoes cubes.
Fry till golden brown and keep it aside.
Directions || how to make chicken gravy masala
Thinly slice the onions and fry them in the same ghee. Reserve half of the onions and keep aside.
Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and allow it to come down to room temperature.
1. Heat ghee in a deep bottomed vessel. It should have a tight fitting lid.
2. Add bay leaves, cinnamon stick ,shahi jeera,mace,black pepper balls.
3. Saute it till nice aroma.
4. Add the thinly sliced onions. saute them on a low to medium flame, till they get golden.
5. Then add finely chopped tomatoes and let it cook well.
6. Once it gets mushy, add the chicken and curd and cook covered ,fried potatoes and stir for some 34 mins on a low flame.
7. Now add the biryani masala & red chilli powder. stir.
8. Now add water and salt. stir very well
9. Increase the flame and let the chicken cook well.
10.After 10-15 mins , when chicken is tender , add 1 cup fried onions and mint leaves.
11. Turn off the flame and keep the gravy aside.
assembling and layering:
1. In a small bowl take 2 tbsp milk. add saffron strands and mix well. keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
2. If cooking on stove than use the same pan in which you cooked the rice or a different one.
you can make as many layers you want.
3. Arrange half of the rice layer in the pot or pyrex bowl.
4. Now spread half of the cooked chicken gravy masala on top of the rice layer.
5. Sprinkle fried onions,mint leaves
6. Then again the rice layer,chicken gravy masala layer.
9. sprinkle mint leaves, 1 tbsp oil/ghee, saffron milk and fried onions.
10. Cover the pyrex bowl with an aluminium foil.
11. If using a pot, then cover the pan with a moist muslin cloth or aluminum foil. cover tightly with a lid.
12. You can bake the chicken biryani for 25 to 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 180 degree celsius.
13. If cooking on stove, then first heat up a tava/griddle and then keep the biryani pan on the tava. this way the
bottom of the biryani won’t get burnt. lower the flame and let the chicken biryani dum cook for 2530 minutes or till
14. Serve chicken biryani hot with some raita or papad.